Saturday, November 13, 2010

I can throw a football over the North Salem High School football team

In spite of what it may seem like with what I'm about to write, I don't spend my days fixated on the "coulda-woulda-shoulda" regarding my high school football experience. I'm not at all like this guy:

Movie Videos & Movie Scenes at MOVIECLIPS.com

However . . .

I caught something the other day in the Oregonian that made me a bit wistful. It's this year's Oregon Class 6A high school football playoff brackets.

Check out the win-loss record of North Salem High School in particular.

As you can see from the link above, North Salem was 2-9 and made the playoffs. Sure, they lost to Jesuit last night 76-0, but, people, they were TWO-AND-FRAKKIN'-NINE and they got into the playoffs!!!!!

Wha . . . ?!?!?

Two things here:
    1) If the playoff bracket is so wide-open, why even have a season?
    2) If the playoff bracket had been so wide open back when I was playing, we would have gone to the playoffs 3 seasons out of 4, rather than zero. And then I would have been picked up by a top-tier NCAA team, and then gone pro, and now I'd be making millions of dollars and living in a mansion instead of eating a steak on the stoop of a house in rural Idaho.
Just sayin'

Ok. Now I got that off my chest, I feel better.

You have just experienced your weekly Meaningless Moment in Time. Thank you for listening.

-

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is REALLY sad! Hard to believe that the "everyone is a winner" philosophy has trickled up to HS. What's next? College and Pro? Maybe they'll hand out super bowl rings to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I haven't bothered to do any research to determine why the playoff bracket was expanded to include such bottom-feeders . . . I just needed to rant about it. Maybe one of these days I'll find out the why so we can critique it!

    (BTW, as long as I get my own Super Bowl ring, that's perfectly fine.)

    ReplyDelete