Friday, May 14, 2010

History of the Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians



The video above showcases Charles Wilkinson's latest project, The People Are Dancing Again: The History of the Siletz Tribe of Western Oregon (UW Press, Fall 2010).

I'm excited about this. While growing up in Siletz in the 1980s, I didn't learn much at all about the tribe's history.

Internet sources on Siletz history can be found here, on the website of the Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians, and through the Oregon Encyclopedia. The National Museum of the American Indian also contains some information on Siletz Indians.

One other, printed, source that I just recently discovered is the Handbook of North American Indians, Vol. 7: Northwest Coast (1990). I've made use of this source in writing the first portion of Chapter 1 of my book on Willamette River pollution.

-

No comments:

Post a Comment